Amigos Bravos is committed to incorporating the principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion into all levels of our work and thinking.
The 2020-2024 Strategic Plan of Amigos Bravos demands that we build the precepts of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (“Equity Principles”) more fully into the work of the organization. This includes a commitment to diversity within the ranks of the Board and staff; building respectful relationships with community partners with an awareness of cultural norms and sensibilities; highlighting both the value of the lives of marginalized people and the disproportionate environmental impacts that marginalized communities experience; elevating the value of the natural world, and the health and safety of all New Mexicans; and understanding and addressing the barriers to the participation of marginalized communities in environmental processes and with work of Amigos Bravos.
Amigos Bravos has a long history of building respectful and reciprocal relationships with communities and partners. Among the efforts, past and present are: building and participating in coalitions such as Communities for Clean Water, which is made up native, land-based, and conservation voices; New Mexico Friends of River Otters, which is made up of wildlife biologists, academics, the fly fishing community, and Taos Pueblo; New Mexico Mining Act Network which is made up of groups and individuals from across state; New Mexico Outstanding Waters Coalition which is made up of local government, farmers, local businesses, and conservation group; and the Rio Fernando Collaborative, which is made up of irrigators, local and federal government representatives, and land and water-based community and conservation groups.
As Amigos Bravos progresses in our mission and grows through our commitment to public service, we will continue to embrace justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion into all levels of our work and thinking, as well as confront and contrast biases both within and without our organization, and ourselves. We must continue to build reciprocal relationships and work with communities to understand their unique needs and how we can best serve these needs. To accomplish our mission, we must fully understand, embrace, and implement principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
JUSTICE means that we identify and pursue outcomes and goals addressing issues of water quality and equality. We must address and redress inequities and discrimination where they are found.
EQUITY demands we understand that each community has unique circumstances that impact their access to clean air, land, and water. We will act in the best interest of all to ensure that everyone has what they need to lead a healthy, robust life.
DIVERSITY calls on us to seek out a variety of perspectives to our work. We will ensure a welcoming work and organizational environment for all. It also calls on Amigos Bravos to search out, find, and attract qualified staff and Board members who reflect the communities in which we live and work.
INCLUSION calls on us to engage with, and learn from all people acting in good faith to foster safety, belonging, and dignity. Only in concert with others can we build the power for change in our natural world and in our human relationships. We will actively create and be responsive to opportunities for inclusive decision-making and participation.
CONTEXT, GOALS, AND ACTION
This Statement of Principles is a beginning, not an end. The principles are intended to catalyze open and honest dialogue and understanding that lead to sustained and transformative action over time.
2. Organizational Context
We must remember these principles and draw on them, to examine where we fall short, and where we need to make improvements.
Our program content and processes must reflect the values and perspectives of the communities in which we work and reflect our growing understanding of how Equity Principles either are or are not, integrated into the work. Periodic evaluation of programs will help guide this understanding
3. Strategic Plan
As stated above, our Strategic Plan, 2020-2024 calls on us to embed justice, equity, diversity and inclusion concepts into the work of Amigos Bravos.
4. Equity Principles Action Plan
* We will have a standing committee of board and staff to review, suggest, and recommend any changes to this Statement and Plan.
* Research, identify practices, and implement policies and processes to attract and retain a diverse staff and board.
* Every addition of a Board member will take issues of diversity into consideration.
* Every addition of a Staff member will take issues of diversity into consideration.
* Self-learning on issues of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion will be encouraged.
* Amigos Bravos will draw on outside resources for assistance in broadening our knowledge and cultural competency, and other issues, as they may arise, on a periodic and regular basis. Board and staff will be expected to attend and participate in regular training and conversations that elevate Equity Principles in our work.
* An inventory of current programs shall be undertaken (as time permits in the near future) to determine the ways in which Equity Principles are currently integrated into the work. A framework/rubric/checklist will be developed to assist in the inventory evaluation.
* All projects will be evaluated using an Equity Principles Rubrik to determine if the project or any of its aspects advance Equity Principles, and if so, how, and to determine if there are any negative aspects that are presented.
* On a quarterly basis, staff and board will check in on Equity Principles and work.
* Track implementation and the embedding of Equity Principles into the fiber of Amigos Bravos on an annual basis. The Justice Equity Diversity and Inclusion committee shall report to the Board at each annual meeting, and the Annual Report shall carry a summary of progress and efforts made.
This action plan will grow and change through this process.